Dr. Laurencia Massawe
Head of Department MHSS
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT (MHSS)
The Department of Mathematics, Humanities and Social Sciences (MHSS) is one of the academic departments of the National Institute of Transport (NIT) that offers Bachelor Degree in Education with Mathematics and Information Technology (BEMIT) under Competency-based Education and Training (CBET) system. Its major role is to support the efforts of the government to increase the number of mathematics and Information Technology teachers in secondary schools and higher learning institutions. The Department is also responsible for teaching general modules; Mathematics, Communication Skills, Law, General Studies and Research Methodology which are taught to different programs in other departments at the institute.
- Bachelor Degree in Education with Mathematics and Economics
- Bachelor Degree in Education with Mathematics and Geography
- Bachelor degree in Statistics and Mathematics
- Bachelor Degree in Education for Technical Teachers.
NON DEGREE PROGRAMMES
- Ordinary Diploma in Education for Technical Teachers
SHORT COURSE PRORAMMES
- Language proficiency courses (English and Chinese)
- Technical Vocational Educational Teaching Professionalism (TVET)
- Pedagogy in teaching
- Statistical Package
Welcome note from MHSS
Welcome to the Department of Mathematics, Humanities and Social Science at the National Institute of Transport (NIT). I am delighted to invite students, academicians and other key stakeholders at the Department of Mathematics, Humanities and Social Sciences (MHSS). This is one of the oldest departments at the institute established in 2004. The department aims at building academic excellence and hands on skills to not only the young generation but also to those working in the field of mathematics, humanities, social sciences and Information Technology.
The Department has competent and experienced human resources in a wide range of interdisciplinary fields like statistics, mathematics, law, languages, research methodology and Development Studies.
The department offers an undergraduate programme in the field of education, mathematics and information technology and undertake collaborative research and consultancy services. The department advances in economic, social and technological development through excellent teaching, learning and knowledge exchange. It is committed to creating a conducive environment that makes it relevant to the country’s development.
PROGRAMMES OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT
Bachelor Degree in Education with Mathematics and Information Technology
- Form VI with two principal passes, one must be Advanced Mathematics with total of 4.0 points in two (2) Subjects, plus four (4) passes in form four with at least a pass in mathematics OR
- Diploma in Education (NTA Level 6) of not less than 3.0 Class obtained from a college which is fully registered by NACTE and approved by the NIT Examination Board. One of the teaching Subjects should be Mathematics.